Senior Campaigner – Canadian Banks
The Canada banks campaign is a new climate justice initiative to stop banks from financing the climate crisis. Collectively, Canada’s big five banks – RBC, TD, Scotiabank, BMO, and CIBC – have financed over $726 billion in fossil fuel projects since the Paris Agreement was signed, including projects that clearly violate Indigenous Rights by disregarding Free Prior and Informed Consent.
A network of NGO’s, Indigenous leaders and grassroots groups is coming together to pressure Canada’s largest banks to stop funding climate chaos. The Sunrise Project coordinates network campaigns in close partnership with a diverse set of partners and allies across Canada and in similar campaigns around the world. We’re looking for an experienced campaigner to help drive and grow the Canadian campaign, contribute new insights on strategy and tactical ideas, coordinate the network, and support individual partners to thrive.
Driven by a passion to solve the climate crisis, The Sunrise Project is a team of experienced change-makers, researchers and communications professionals with a mission to scale social movements to drive the global transition beyond fossil fuels. With affiliated programs and staff around the world, we have developed a unique model of grant making and campaigning that supports networks of organizations to drive powerful change towards our mission.
We have a dynamic and nimble organizational culture and we’re serious about supporting our people to thrive. We move fast and lean into the urgency of the climate challenge.
We believe that a diversity of experiences and perspectives will help us build stronger strategies, teams and movements. We strongly encourage First Nations people, people of color, and people with disabilities to apply.
You’re an experienced strategist and campaigner who understands how campaigns build power and change the world. While you’re skilled at developing big picture strategy, you also enjoy the nitty gritty of implementation, trying new ideas and taking calculated risks.
You’re a team player with exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with diverse partner groups to support them to do their best work. You have some understanding and experience with all aspects of a modern advocacy campaign – from policy and regulation work to grassroots organizing to digital tactics to media – and are comfortable switching codes based on the people and task at hand. You can work independently and juggle multiple concurrent projects, and have a track record centering equity and justice in your approach to leadership and to campaigning more generally.
You’re passionate about solving the climate crisis, and excited to be part of a dedicated team working at the new and growing intersection of finance and climate and supporting social and climate justice movements to create real change.
The Canada Banks Senior Campaigner:
- Helps develop strategy and ensures implementation of a multi-group and multi-faceted climate finance campaign
- Convenes diverse networks of campaign partners to continually refine campaign goals, identify gaps and key moments, and execute tactics
- Provides advice and support to partners to help them run more effective campaigns and deliver specific tactics with the best possible outcomes
- Jumps in with direct delivery of campaign tactics as circumstances dictate
- Manages campaign communication channels including websites, social channels and movement communications tools such as slack and contact lists
- Writes or commission briefing papers, campaign plans, news bulletins and other materials as required
- Liaises with other Sunrise global finance program staff and with key funders to align strategy and help secure resources
- Helps with campaign evaluation and reporting
Required skills and experience
- 5-7 years experience managing advocacy campaigns in senior roles
- Experience developing and implementing campaign strategy
- Strong interpersonal and group facilitation skills; experience coordinating distributed networks a plus
- Experience in project management and top time management skills
- Writing skills and the ability to craft compelling communications for a variety of audiences
- A passion for action on climate change and a commitment to social justice
- English required; fluency in French desirable but not required
If you meet some but not all of the criteria for this position, are unsure, but you’re keen on the role – please get in touch. We value and recognize experience that has been unpaid, from the grassroots, or is lived experience.
This is a full time position, though initially a contract for 6 months duration. When this position is made full time permanent at Sunrise within 6 months, you will be invited to apply. Depending on experience, the salary range is C$85K – $100K per annum. As a contractor, Sunrise benefits do not apply, but all job-related expenses will be covered.
Location: Remote, flexible location anywhere in Canada with a preference for Eastern time zone
Application Due Date: August 31, 2021
How to apply
Send your CV with a cover note explaining why you are a good fit for this position to Becky Jarvis, Senior Strategist Sunrise Global Banks Program, [email protected]