Remote, Europe. An eligible candidate must have full working rights in the country in which they are applying to work from.
Depending on experience (including unpaid and other experiences) and capacity to take on responsibility, the salary range is £45,000 to £52,000 if the position is located in the UK. If the successful candidate is located outside of the UK, the salary will be adjusted based on local market equivalencies.
Overtime Status: Exempt
FTE Status: 100%
Driven by a passion to solve the climate crisis, The Sunrise Project is a team of experienced change-makers, researchers and communications professionals with a mission to scale social movements to drive the global transition beyond fossil fuels. With programs and staff in Australia, and affiliated programs and staff in Europe, and the US, we have developed a unique model of grant making and campaigning that supports networks of organisations to drive powerful change towards our mission.
We have a dynamic and nimble organisational culture and we’re serious about supporting our people to thrive. We move fast and lean into the urgency of the climate challenge.
We believe that a diversity of experiences and perspectives will help us build stronger strategies, teams and movements. We strongly encourage Indigenous people, people of colour, people living outside of cities, and people with all kinds of bodies and talents to apply. We are continually working on becoming a better workplace for everyone. You can read our commitment to this work here.
You’re passionate about solving the climate crisis and winning campaigns. You’re a skilled campaigner and creative thinker with a strong track record of making change happen. You have strong strategic instincts and want to shift the role of corporate power in our society. You have a demonstrated ability to manage projects and partnerships to make change happen and deliver real-world results. You understand corporate campaigning and are passionate about shifting the role of financial markets to stop driving climate change.
You can work independently and juggle multiple concurrent projects, and also work well collaboratively in teams, centering equity and justice in your approach to leadership and to campaigning more generally. You’ve got exceptional networking and interpersonal communication skills and are just as comfortable working with senior finance industry professionals as with grassroots climate activists.
About The Role
Working with the Sunrise Project’s campaign leads and network partners, the Campaigner will develop and implement campaigns aimed at key institutional investors such as pension funds and asset managers. The campaigns aim to get global investors to divest from pureplay fossil fuel companies while using their ownership power to persuade other companies to phase out fossil fuels. Campaign techniques may span research, advocacy with corporate decision-makers, public mobilisation, digital campaigning, the media, and more. We’re looking for an experienced campaigner to help support and grow our existing work, while contributing new ideas on strategy, tactics, and potential partners.
- Developing and implementing campaign tactics to drive institutional investors to act on climate, and working with partners to make them happen;
- Identifying proactive and reactive opportunities to push campaign goals and narrative;
- Convene partners in our global network and support them to take action;
- Identify and connect with potential new allies;
- Represent Sunrise at various coalition meetings and with partners;
- Writing credible and compelling campaign materials.
Required skills and experience
- At least 5 years’ experience in a similar or related role, including unpaid, grassroots or lived experience;
- A passion for action on climate change and a commitment to social justice;
- Experience developing and implementing campaign strategy;
- Some knowledge of how investments relate to climate change issues and how the power of investors can be leveraged to phase out fossil fuels, and a willingness and ability to learn more;
- The ability to articulate complex ideas and strategies to different audiences clearly and compellingly;
- Experience in project planning, management and implementation;
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate activities across distributed networks;
- Fluency in written and oral English.
Desirable Skills and Experience
- Experience with corporate or finance campaigns, including with direct engagement or negotiations;
- Experience working on international projects across multiple time zones, countries, and cultures;
- Experience working with grassroots campaigners;
- Working knowledge of how asset owners and asset managers invest in and engage with companies;
- Additional European languages.
If you meet some but not all of the criteria for this position, are unsure, but you’re keen on the role – please get in touch. We value and recognise experience that has been unpaid, from the grassroots or is lived experience.
How Sunrise supports its staff:
The Sunrise Project is committed to creating a workplace that supports our staff to do their best work and develop professionally. We have the following in place to help us achieve that:
- Generous annual leave
- Birthday leave (if it’s your birthday, you get a day off)
- Cultural & solidarity leave
- Generous paid parental leave
- Commitment to supporting your professional development
- Access to Employee Assistance Program
- Coaching and management support with regular 1:1 meetings
- Performance reviews and feedback to support you and the team to reflect and grow
- A co-developed initial 3 month work plan to help you hit the ground running and have clarity on your role and responsibilities
- Flexible work policy
How to apply for this job
In our commitment to inclusive hiring of the best candidates, we use the Be Applied hiring system to process applications. Start your application by clicking here. The application window will close on 11:59pm, 14th September 2021 BST.
The Be Applied system reduces the opportunity for unconscious bias in allowing for anonymised reviews of responses to work sample questions. This means we assess candidates on how well they strategise and communicate on relevant work samples. When you click on the link you will be taken to an external site to start your application. You will be required to upload a CV or resume and will be asked several questions that will be related to the role you are applying for. There is no requirement to submit a cover letter.