Digital Campaigner – Australian Coal mining and exports
Parental leave cover four month position
Preferred Location: Anywhere in NSW or QLD
Preferred Start Date: 1 September 2021
Salary Range: Grade 5 79,300-100,299 Pro Rata
Reports to: Senior Strategist
Deadline for Application: 26 July 2021
Driven by a passion to solve the climate crisis, The Sunrise Project is a team of experienced change-makers, researchers and communications professionals with a mission to scale social movements to drive the global transition beyond fossil fuels. With programs and staff in Australia, and affiliated programs and staff in Europe, and the US, we have developed a unique model of grant-making and campaigning that supports networks of organisations to drive powerful change towards our mission. We have a dynamic and nimble organisational culture and we’re serious about supporting our people to thrive.
Coal mining is Australia’s largest contribution to the global climate crisis. The climate pollution from burning the coal Australia exports is around 1 billion tonnes of CO2 equivalent every year, or about double Australia’s total annual domestic emissions from every source. There are 94 operating coal mines in Australia and the Government is planning for an additional 457 million tonnes of coal production per year. To prevent catastrophic climate change, we must rapidly phase out coal and prevent the expansion of Australia’s coal sector and accelerate its decline.
We believe that a diversity of experiences and perspectives will help us build stronger strategies, teams and movements. We strongly encourage First Nations people, people of colour, people living outside of cities, and people with a disability to apply. We are continually working on becoming a better workplace for everyone. You can read our commitment to this work here.
You’re an experienced digital and social media campaigner and content creator. You have a knack for telling simple, powerful stories that synthesise complex issues and inspire people to take action.
You enjoy coming up with innovative online ideas to engage people and shift the story on coal. While you’re skilled at developing an overall strategy, you also enjoy the nitty gritty of implementation, using various digital tools to communicate how and where to create change.
You have a strong working knowledge of social media platforms and analytics, along with a creative eye for organic growth. You’re a team player who enjoys working with and collaborating with partners to maximise our collective work.
You’re passionate about climate action and winning campaigns. You’re excited to be part of a dedicated team working to #StopAdani and move Australia beyond coal mining and supporting social and climate justice movements to create real change. You’re confident in mentoring and supporting others to lead.
About The Role
As the Digital Campaigner you will support the #StopAdani grassroots movement to stop Adani’s Carmichael coal mine and rail project. You will play a key role in developing communications materials for campaign moments across social media channels. You’ll also support our movement partners with digital strategies and materials in order to maximise our collective impact. Your communications skills and advice will help grow the impact of our partners online, enabling a larger understanding of the impacts of Adani and the coal industry in driving catastrophic climate change.
- Working with the Coal Mining team and key campaign partners, lead the development of compelling communication strategies and materials that support our campaign goals;
- Drive and support rapid response moments with movement partners through developing and socialising messaging guides and other materials;
- Build relationships with and provide communications advice and support to movement partners to help them run high impact campaigns;
- Create impactful communications materials for social and digital media, including short videos, infographics and other visual assets;
- Manage and implement communications projects;
- Other tasks as required, including contributing to broader communication strategy development and work of the wider Sunrise Coal Mining team.
Required skills and experience
- At least 3 years experience in digital and social media
- Strong experience running social media channels and campaigns, particularly on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn – creating and distributing content, scheduling posts, building followers and assessing our impact
- Digital strategy and digital content creation skills for social media (short videos, infographics, etc)
- Strong writing skills with experience writing key messages for a variety of campaign scenarios
- Experience with website content management systems
- An eye for design and ideally experience with tools like Canva
- Ability to work collaboratively with partners to deliver integrated campaigns
- Good facilitation, project and time management skills
- A passion for action on climate change and a commitment to social justice
Desirable Skills and Experience
- Experience in coal or other climate campaigns
- Digital advertising experience across LinkedIn
If you meet some but not all of the criteria for this position, but you’re keen on the role – please get in touch. We value and recognise experience that has been unpaid, from the grassroots or is lived experience.
How to apply
Please apply via our Beapplied platform via this link