Administrative and Personal Assistant to Climate Campaigner Casey Harrell
Location: Oakland, CA; an eligible candidate must be legally eligible to work in the U.S.
Remuneration: Depending on experience (including unpaid and other experiences) and capacity to take on responsibility, the salary range is 57-78kUSD per year plus comprehensive, employer-paid health insurance, 5 weeks paid vacation a year, holidays and more.
Contract Information: Due to the nature of the position, the selected candidate will start with 2-4 paid days in the position for all parties to feel whether or not it’s a good fit. If it is, the contract would include a 3-month trial period, with an expectation of continuation if the fit continues to be strong during that period.
Driven by a passion to solve the climate crisis, The Sunrise Project U.S. is a team of experienced change-makers, researchers and communications professionals with a mission to scale social movements to drive the global transition beyond fossil fuels.
Avaaz Foundation has committed to sponsoring and holding the employment relationship for this position, in acknowledgement and support of the crucial role Casey plays in the climate movement. Contracts, payroll, and benefits will be managed through Avaaz.
Sunrise Project Senior Strategist Casey Harrell is a talented and strategic campaigner, as well as highly principled, kind, funny, respectful, and driven. His deep experience and innovative thinking are tremendous assets for the global climate movement. The broad support network that has coalesced around him since his diagnosis with ALS is testament to the high regard in which his community and colleagues hold him. He is committed to continuing his important work to create a more just and healthy planet, despite his physical limitations. That’s where you come in.
About The Role
We are looking for an exceptional person to play a unique, hybrid role in support of Casey Harrell, who has been living with Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), a progressive nervous system disease for two years. The disease is currently affecting Casey’s motor skills in his hands (gripping, typing, writing, eating), his feet (now using a mobility scooter), and in his throat (slowed speech). Casey lives in Oakland with his wife and 2-year-old daughter. They have an active and robust support network in their local community.
This is an opportunity to play a key role in advancing climate justice, and to learn from one of the most seasoned campaign strategists in the movement. You will be helping Casey carry out the work he has dedicated his life to doing. Your impact on his family, his community, and the planet will be lasting.
Administrative Assistant Role
In the administrative assistant role, you will work in person with Casey to manage his priorities and calendar, assist with live dictation, and prepare documents and correspondence. A big part of the job will be collaborating with Casey to focus on his highest leverage activities, so you’ll need to bring decisive prioritization and high levels of organization to help him schedule time and tasks. This part of the role will constitute approximately 50% of the role (approximately 20 hours per week).
Personal Assistant Role
In the personal assistant role, you will help support Casey in tending to his physical and health needs throughout the work day, including meal preparation, helping Casey eat and take medication, helping ensure a tidy and functional workspace, and assisting with mobility exercises. You don’t need to have any medical expertise in order to perform these tasks.
One of the most important aspects of personal assistance will be scheduling the volunteers from Casey’s community who have signed on to help him. You can make a substantial impact by aligning the skills of volunteers with the areas of support Casey and his family need the most, and by bringing your strong logistical skills to coordinating this crew. This part of the role will constitute approximately 50% of the role (approximately 20 hours per week).
- Support Casey in managing his work calendar, including scheduling meetings and managing priorities.
- Support Casey in managing his correspondence, including email and Slack inboxes and drafting and/or editing memos and reports, checking voicemails and responding to messages.
- Sit in on Sunrise Project team meetings and other strategic and coordination meetings as Casey’s eyes and ears; take notes and help manage and move his work forward.
- Manage volunteer support for Casey, including matching needs with appropriate volunteers, scheduling volunteers, and managing the volunteer calendar.
- Support Casey with light stretching and mobility exercises.
- Physical support: shadow Casey when he walks, support him in standing from his chair, or getting in and out of bed for occasional naps, occasional face and head scratching, dabbing with a tissue.
- Prepare and help Casey take his medicine, track supply and reorder medication as needed, help arrange medical travel logistics and assist with medical-related correspondence.
- Support in meal preparation (most meals will come pre-made, just need heating/plating), light clean-up, and helping feed Casey.
Required Skills and Experience
- At least two years of administrative or personal assistance experience, or transferable experience in a similar or related role
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Critical thinking and decision-making skills
- Exceptional interpersonal communication skills and high-level emotional intelligence
- Kindness, empathy, resilience and a wry sense of humor when engaging with people dealing with a terminal diagnosis
- Proficiency with Microsoft suite and G-suite
- Excellent project management skills, and ideally volunteer coordination experience
- Ability to treat confidential information with appropriate discretion
If you meet some but not all of the above criteria, or are unsure of being a perfect match for all the above, but still interested in discussing the role — please get in touch. We recognize and value experience that has been grassroots/informal/volunteer, and/or lived experience.
Desirable Skills and Experience
- Experience with disabled adults, including providing physical support for standing, walking, and sitting up in ways that are physically sound for both the caregiver and the receiver
- In-home care experience in a similar or related role
- While the position does not entail childcare responsibilities, Casey works in his family apartment, with his wife and their 2.5 year-old daughter. Comfort engaging with toddlers is a plus.
Compensation and Benefits
Depending on experience (including unpaid and other experiences) and capacity to take on responsibility, the salary range is $57-78k per year plus;
- Comprehensive, employer-paid health insurance
- 5 weeks paid vacation a year, including 1 week to be taken at the end of the year along with the rest of the project team
- 10 holidays of your choice per calendar year
- Management support, including regular 1:1 meetings with an assigned Avaaz Operations team member
- Performance reviews and feedback to support you and the team to reflect and grow
How to apply for this job
The deadline to submit an application is May 26, 2021 by 11:59pm PST.
Avaaz is a movement that brings together over 65 million citizens from across the world, with a mission to help solve some of the world’s biggest problems. Its entire budget comes from small citizen donations, meaning Avaaz is independent and able to take on organisations such as Facebook, Monsanto and the Murdoch media.
Avaaz reaches tens of millions of citizens every week with opportunities to change the world. This includes protecting our planet from climate change and other threats, fighting to stop social media from undermining our democracies, and deepening human connection.
Avaaz Statement on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
As a global organization with millions of members around the world, it’s important to us that our team reflects the diversity needed to lead a movement of people from across the planet, rising to meet some of the most complex challenges humanity has ever faced. We believe we can only succeed by building a diverse team full of fresh perspectives and original ideas, and we are committed to creating a working environment in which everyone has an equal opportunity to fulfill their potential.
Our team includes native and non-native English speakers, the self-taught and university educated, people with all sorts of professional backgrounds. if doing the job you just read about would make you excited to come to work every day, if you’re talented, hard-working and committed to making a difference – we want you to apply.
Avaaz does not discriminate on the basis of race, age, ancestry, citizenship, colour, disability, ethnicity, family or marital status, gender identity or expression, national origin, political affiliation, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you have suggestions for Avaaz on how to put these values into practice in our hiring process, we’d value your input. Please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line ‘Hiring Feedback’.
We’ll provide reasonable accommodations for qualified applicants with disabilities to participate in the application process, so please let us know if you have such a request when you apply.